Kitty’s Crush is a weekly feature that highlights and champions emerging entrepreneurs, creatives and cultural forces of today. We keep it cute, get to the point, but we make sure to ask what you want to know from the people who we feel are killing it! Make this your destination to be inspired by your peers, learn about their journey and be empowered to embark on your own.
2. Where are you from?
3. What is your sign?
4. What do you do? Can you tell me about your journey?
I am an actor, singer-songwriter, dancer. Dancing was my first passion. I used head a dance crew called 'Young Superstars.' As I matured I continued to look for ways to express myself artistically and that's when I got into acting and singing.
5. So, Part 2 of the Netflix series, 'The Get Down' just premiered. What was it like working on that?
Part 1 was more naive and Part 2 goes much further beyond the surface level. The first part was setting the story, where as the second part actually describes the details of each character. With this season you're gonna get to see how each character has matured and how the events that occurred in the first season have affected them.
6. What can fans expect from your character, Shaolin Fantastic?
He's trying to figure out the difference between right and wrong, according to him. He is questioning his own morals and not so much worrying about how others perceive him.
7. Are you and Shaolin similar in ways?
We both love to express ourselves creatively. Shaolin is more negative and edgy than me but we're both pretty laid back.
8. What has the show taught you about hip-hop during the late 70s?
That hip-hop was about community, expression and positivity. More positivity during that timeframe. There was much more meaning in the music back then.
9. Speaking of music, you have an EP coming out. What inspired the name?
The title 'Worth The Risk' was appropriate because it's a question that I'm constantly asking myself. When you're in your 20s thats a question that you have to ask yourself.
10. How did you go about selecting your featured artist?
Based off of commodity. [Playboi Carti] is the homie. He heard all my music, he fucked with the vision and wanted hop on the track.
11. What artists inspire your music style?
Musicsoulchild, Aaliyah, PARTYNEXTDOOR, Drake and Frank Ocean, to name a few.
12. What's your favorite song(s) on the EP?
Switches up based on mood. Right now it's 'Ride The Beat.'
13. Your newest song 'Jiggle It' was inspired by your Jamaican roots, right? Tell us more about how your roots have shaped you?
I like to dance. I see movement when I hear Jamaican music.
14. If you're not working or making music, how do you spend your days off?
I like to chill with friends in ATL. I spend a lot of time with my dance group, Collizion Crew.
Anything else we should know?
I know how to play the drums and the guitar.
Check out Part 2 of the series, 'The Get Down' on Netflix!